Thursday, July 29, 2010

Get your Alma 17 buddy!!

So my dad, he is very spiritual man. This is one of my favorite things about him! He loves the scriptures and other good books and is constantly reading and being enlightened. I hope that when my little Nod gets a bit bigger I can peruse a bit more in his library and get some good reads myself! Im excited to become more spiritual like him as I read my scriptures and other good books, and get to know the Savior.

When my Dad was younger (probably 20 years ago or more) he made a pact with one of his friends to read the Book of Mormon daily. We just went to BC and spent some time with this old friend- He and my Dad have never forgotten a day since... EVER! Isnt that amazing! I wish I could say that about myself!! Dads friend told us that he calls dad his "alma 17 buddy"... heres why. (I added the red and bold to make my point)



"And now it came to pass that as Alma was journeying from the land of Gideon southward, away to the land of aManti, behold, to his astonishment, he bmet with the csons of Mosiah journeying towards the land of Zarahemla.
  2 Now these sons of Mosiah were with Alma at the time the angel afirst appeared unto him; therefore Alma did rejoice exceedingly to see his brethren; and what added more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth; for they were men of a sound understanding and they had bsearched the scriptures diligently, that they might know the word of God.
  3 But this is not all; they had given themselves to much prayer, and afasting; therefore they had the spirit of prophecy, and the spirit of revelation, ...
  4 And they had been teaching the word of God having had much asuccess in bringing many to the bknowledge of the truth; ...
  5 ... they had many afflictions; they did suffer much, both in body and in mind, such as hunger, thirst and fatigue, and also much alabour in the spirit." Alma 17:1-5

Dad and his friend were just like the sons of Mosiah and Alma. They rejoiced when they saw each other, and they were even more happy to know that both of them had stayed true to this promise to read the Book of Mormon. Through their reading, and fasting, and prayer they both have come to know the Lord. They both are striving to teach what they have learned to others (dads an institute teacher and his friend is on High Council). They both had sorrows to share, but also joys... joys in the gospel and sharing it!

Anyways, after hearing about all of this -well Ive know about the deal my whole life- but after hearing the friend call Dad his alma 17 buddy I decided to find my own! Ive been thinking a lot about it, and praying about who I should ask. Tuesday night I was out with a good friend and she was struggling and I felt impressed to invite her to the challenge. I dont think she will be the only one I ask though, shouldnt everyone have this great oppourtunity? So, I am extending this to all of my readers... Find yourself an Alma 17 buddy... and if you want it can be me! Send me a message so I know, and when we see eachother next we can rejoice that we are still sisters and brothers in Christ.

Love to All
Wink

2 comments:

  1. thanks so much E- this means a lot to me during a difficult time, Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. ya, nice to have others on "the same page" as it were (pun intended)...did you know 4th Branch is doing a Bk of Mormon challenge, reading every day til the end of...August I think it is? I got a head start - I've been reading since abt Christmas, since I was too slow to finish the (family ward) 1st ward challenge on time!haha. <3 Aunt J

    ReplyDelete