There was a rule in the church that no member could persecute those that did not beleive, but still some chose to fight their adversaries with words and with fists. However, those who did eventually left the church, their names were blotted out, and some willingly withdrew their membership.
Does this story sound familiar to anyone? It sure does to me. I was reminded of My Uncle P and how he left the church, but could not leave it alone. He continues to tear down anyone who beleives. At first I just felt sorry for him and tried to be his friend, but eventually he refused to be mine. I dont understand how he could possibly be correct, if his beleif leads him to be so unkind to someone who was once a best friend :(
. It also led him to befriend D, who he previously hated. Then my other Uncle N chose to leave the church too and become friends with D. During the three years D and I were together N never met or spoke to D, but he had dinner with him a few week ago. Anyone find that odd? And of course there are my brothers-in-law. <3Good hearts<3, but they too have left. One of them is very kind and I never feel like he is disrespectful of what I beleive, the other not so much. Their story reminds me the most of this scripture, as it was when C tried to contend with Du about the church that he lost his testimony also. The same thing happened with D's good friend DP who was always 'bible bashing' and eventually fell away.
So what am I getting at here? well a few things, and I havent made them clear at all so let me do that.
First of all, Everyone is inherintly good. We are all children of God and born into this world good. We then choose to become more or less good. Just because someone does not beleive in God, or even because they choose to fight against the church if God, does not make them evil. In my humble view they are confused, but for the most part they are trying to do the best with what they understand. My broinlaw Du and his wife K are probably the sweetest people ever. So just because you hear that someone left, dont go around assuming they are terrible, cause very likely they aren't. Obama talks about this kind of thing in his book. We need to eliminate the idea that we are so different from those who have different beleifs, cause that just creates these unneeded hard feelings and then we cannot come to proper agreements.
Second thought... Fighting against those that hate the church of God will not bring any good. We are supposed to be the peaceable followers of Christ. If you let yourself contend you are allowing pride to enter your heart and putting your testimony at risk. There are people out there whom belong to the church and can answer any doctrinal questions you have, but dont bring this material into combat with those who dont beleive. Let the truth strengthen you, and when they are ready to hear the truth then share with love, not anger.
Third thought...
The church is true. I know it. I cannot deny it. Sometimes I wonder if it would be easier to deny it, to be with D still... but I would have to pretend. I would have to lie to myself, and maybe I could do it for a little while, I probably could have stopped going to church, but I couldnt be like D and persecute those who beleived, because it just plain old is true. Also it would have not made our marriage any better, cause he still would have his problems, and wether the church is true or not I cannot live with some certain things. This verse really touched me in my reading...Alma 1:25 Now this was a great trial to those that did stand fast in the faith; nevertheless, they were asteadfastbpatience the persecution which was heaped upon them. and immovable in keeping the commandments of God, and they bore with bpatience the persecution which was heaped upon them.
I need to be like these people. I have not being bearing these trials with patience, I mean, I began that way. All the time ppl would say to me, "Oh youve been through so much, nobody would blame you if..." followed by something, well, weak. I would say to myself that my trial was no excuse. However lately I havent been doing as well. Ive been complaining about being a single mom/student etc etc etc. I have been pushing this divorce and getting sick of being married. I have been incredibly impatient. I was listening to a general conference talk the other day and it hit me that I was not only being patient, but I was also being proud. I decided that it didnt matter what the best thing or right thing was, I was doing this my way. How lame is that? Like my plan is better than the Lords! I still am married. I may still be for a while, and my plan to date may not be the Lords plan, and I better follow the Lords plan. I better! I need to stay close to him, and let him be involved in every decision that I make. EVERY choice. He will guide me. I need to bear with patince these heaping afflictions. No one is saying they arent hard, of course they are, but they will make me strong if I let them bring me to the Lord instead of just complain about them.
26And when the priests left their alabor to impart the word of God unto the people, the people also left their labors to hear the word of God. And when the priest had imparted unto them the word of God they all returned again diligently unto their labors; and the priest, not esteeming himself above his hearers, for the preacher was no better than the hearer, neither was the teacher any better than the learner; and thus they were all equal, and they did all labor, every man baccording to his strength.
Diligence. This word has stuck out to me a lot over the years. I need to be diligent in sharing the gospel, in obeying the commandments, in my school work, in my family... I am working on it. I really really really am. For instance, today, I am ending this post here, and going to diligently study for a polisci exam. So, I dont know if you learned anything from this post, but I did, and I wanted to record it, so I can look back one day and remember to ...
A) LOVE everyone B)Peacefully share truth C) Be Patient with afflictions D)Be Dilligent
XO
Wink ;)
I love you dearly. Thank you for this post.
ReplyDeleteXOXO
This is an awesome post, and of course, SO true...I always feel like the more I read the scriptures, the easier it is to be patient in trials/afflictions/anything really...I think patience is so deeply connected with having FAITH...is you have faith in the Lords plan, then evrything else will fall into place..and you won't have to worry so much. Although our situations are so different, it seems as if we are learning the same lessons right now...thanks for the post.
ReplyDeleteYes, isnt it interesting the different ways we get to learn the same principals? Im taking it one step at a time with patience, I find myself rushing everything still, and then I trip n fall flat on my face! Good thing I have the scriptures to turn to daily and be reminded of how to get back up again. Love you C, and Dee! Thanks for your comments, I love getting feedback!
ReplyDeleteScott here.. I wanted to comment. I have just been reviewing old thought and momories, looking at pictures of my life while I was a missionary, and those I shared that time with. I Look at the people that surround me in those pictures, and remember how much I love them, and how much I love spending time with them.
ReplyDeleteIt RIP'S my heart out to see people leave the gospel like you are talking about. Especially a certain hairless one.. I sat next to him durring lessons, and felt the spirit of God so strong as he bore his testimony.
I wish I could just be back in time, and relive all the good, and just forget all the bad that has happened.
And as a note, I do feel sorry for them... whether they like it or not, Whether the believe it or not.
I know that EVERY knee will bow, and EVERY toung will confess that Jesus is the Lord.
How will they feel when they find out that their leader will not, and cannot support them in the end?
Keep the Faith. Never falter. I know.. -Even in my lowest times- That this gospel is TRUE... I know...
Thanks Scott- sometimes I wish I could go back to that time too, but for now I will be satisfied with the fact that he strengthened my testimony when it was weakest, and amidst all the confusion of today, I know that I still am grateful for that positive influence in my life. I am also grateful for you and Jared, and your testimonies.You guys are awesome examples! Thanks :)
ReplyDelete